Tuesday, January 17, 2012

You can't run 1 mile?

It was another long day at work but I will admit it was a good one, very productive one.  It is 50F outside and just 2 days ago we were below 0. I had NO time to go for my run today! and for those of you who know me... the non running gets me a little bit grumpy.  Well I think I have been too busy to be grumpy today! But taking a day off because you need to or because you are too busy always gets you so MUCH more excited about your workout the next day! I'm thinking a long run sounds tempting for tomorrow...

I have had many of my friends say well I don't know how I am suppose to run 8-10-15 miles... Well I will tell you how I started running today...

My husband has been running since he was in high school.  When we got married he will come home from work and say he was going for a run, I always thought... why? is he crazy? I will rather go play tennis or go for a class at the gym.  But I really thought he was weird.  But then again I'm blind when it comes to CT love him too much so I figured weird was ok.

He challenged me after I had my son Lucas to run 1 mile.  Everyone that knows me knows that when CT challenges me I am all over that! Well I couldn't make the mile. I felt like I was going to have a heart attack.  I figured if I played tennis and did my bootcamp classes or went to the gym I could do anything. That first day it was not even half a mile.  Then the next day I went a bit longer, every day it got easier.  A few days later I made the mile.  Once I ran my first mile I knew I was hooked into something... I was going to be just as weird as my husband.  I remember the firs time I ran 3 miles, it was back in OH and I stopped at my friends house (Karen B. an amazing runner) and I think my pace was probably 11 per mile... I remember Karen greeting me and saying wow that is awesome.  I knew she was a runner and from that day I learned that no matter how fast, how long you run... YOU ARE A RUNNER.  

My favorite thing about running is certainly the endorphins that it gives me afterwards, that runners high, nothing compares to that! When I leave the gym after a training session or a class I feel great but the runners high is just a bit different... it is too cool to describe. It certainly leaves me smiling all day long.

Before I leave I want to send a huge hug to my friend Karen Blume who always inspired me as a runner! and to my friend Michelle Seeber for getting on that treadmill today! I'm proud of you

We can say my favorite thing of the day is running... even though I did not get to run today.

Chris took a picture of me while running 4 days ago after 12 inches of snow! just amazing.
I am off to bed but hope that all my friends who have thought about running and think that they are too slow or they cant run long enough know that IT DOES NOT MATTER!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lina!
    You know, I remember when you first started running - amazing to see you now! Marathons, races - you are amazing!
    You are one of my motivators. When I think I cant run any further or when I think I cant make that big hill (ha ha! - you know which one) I can hear you telling me "You CAN do it...dont stop"
    And seeing this picture of you running in all that snow makes me realize I should have had my butt out there too!! :)
    Love and miss you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU and listen to amazing... the girl that gets up at 5am to workout! I MISS YOU and I miss our runs... and I miss that hill... so of course I know what hill you are talking about. Im amazed by the blog viewers and response very cool! love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lina,

    Hugs right back at you. Little did I know that such small words of encouragement so long ago could have such power. You are an inspiration to all. I feel very blessed to have had a part of your running journey. Seeing this CRAZY snow picture of you, 1st inspires me to get back to running and 2nd makes me think what is happening to that girl in New York. You are a wonderful friend that is truly missed by the entire Blume Family. Keep staying positive and setting your running goals. We will run together again soon, but we have to make it before you jump into my age bracket.

    Love and miss the entire Tonk Family.

    Quote from one of Allison's Cross Country T-Shirts:
    " Running is a Mental Sport..... We are all INSANE!! "

    ReplyDelete